Ben and I love crock potting. It’s. So. Simple. I recall having a conversation with someone once about crock potting and they told me they didn’t have time for crock potting. Wait, really? We also love chili, so what better than chili in a crock pot? We used to make chilis that would put you in a coma after just one bowl, but this paleo chicken chili recipe is a lite refreshing take on your everyday “Chili”. This recipe is just short of 24 hours so plan accordingly.
|Sweet and Spicy Chicken “Chili”|
Recipe type: Dinner, Crock Pot
Cook time: 18 hours
Total time: 18 hours
- 4 large chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
- 1 medium tomato
- 2 large Vidalia onions
- 2 Serrano peppers
- 2 Jalapeño peppers
- 12 Medjool dates
- 2 Golden Delicious apples
- 1 Green bell pepper
- 1 Red bell pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 3/4 tsp Cheyenne pepper
- Salt to taste (optional)
- Turn your crock pot on high and put 2 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil in the bottom
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and put your chicken in. Boil until done, about 15-20 minutes.
- Chop one of your onions into big chunks and put in the bottom of the crock pot, cover.
- Shred your chicken, place in crock pot, and cover. Watch this video for a great technique.
- Peel and core one apple, then chop into pieces.
- Put your Medjool dates, Serrano peppers, Jalapeño peppers, tomato, and chopped apple in a food processor and blend for 15-20 seconds.
- Pour mixture in crock pot and mix. Add 1/4 cup water to the crock pot. Cover and cook on lowest setting (warm, or low) for 16 hours.
- After 16 hours of cooking, chop your bell peppers (remove seeds) and remaining onion. We like big chunks, but you can chop them finely. Add to the crock pot.
- Add your spices and mix.
- Peel, core, and dice your remaining apple and add to the crock after 1 hour of adding spices. Cook for 1-4 more hours.
- Serve with your favorite side and enjoy!